I want to be brainwashed?

Romans 12:2 says ..."Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. The you will be able to test and approve what God's Will is - his good and perfect will."

I have a shirt that says "Brainwashed" on the front with the above verse on the back (thanks mom). I gave it some thought and came to realize that the negative connotation surrounding "brainwashing" is somewhat backwards. After all that I've seen of this world, I often feel as if my brain needs a good washing. When we come to God in prayer, through reading the Bible, through fellowship with fellow believers and through the worship that all of these (and more) represent, we are choosing to embrace the good work that God began in us. There is a purity of heart that is not something measured by whether or not it has ever been tainted, but rather by whether or not we have accepted and embraced the saving grace of a God that has no need for us, and yet greatly, frightfully, powerfully, wonderfully and lovingly desires us to be in relationship with Him. With Him we are made clean, through the forgiveness of sins and through time spent with Him, pondering scripture, seeking him in prayer, discussing his many wonderful qualities with others...all of these things help to wash away the filth that has become impacted into our brains, wounding our hearts, infecting our thoughts.

Ours is not a faith of ignorance, a crooked batch of brainwashed believers all proclaiming lofty ideals and scurrying around like filth-ridden rats undermining our own proclamations. We are sons and daughters of a living God, made continually clean by the love and relationship of that very God, who put on flesh and made himself filthy, so that we might be clean.

Simply said, I am dirty and naturally seek to remain that way. By the grace and mercy of God I have not only been shown that I am dirty, but I have been forgiven for my desire to remain so.

I was a filthy and rotting thing, ingrown within myself. I am broken and redeemed, made anew not into a future creature I've never been, but into a clean, saved son, as I was meant to be before time began.

:)

Colby

Comments

Popular Posts