Scholarship Essay #2

When you look back on your life in 30 years, what would it take for you to consider your life successful?  What people, things and accomplishments do you need?

            Regardless as to whether or not one realizes it, no one can live their life purely by situational ethics, on a case by case basis.  One’s actions, words and thoughts are all formed by the core principles that one lives by.  The principles that any person chooses to live by are defined by how that person understands their purpose.  If one has not thought that far, then at the very least, they will live by principles that ascribe to how one understands his or her sense of what has meaning and what doesn’t.  With that said, I hope to look back and see that I have correctly understood my purpose in life, chosen well in regards to valuing what is meaningful and lived consistently by principles that reflect my understanding of purpose and my choosing to value what I perceive as meaningful.  I am a Christian.  I make no apologies and I am not ashamed.  It is my first and foremost expression of purpose, meaning and principle.
I was made by God, for God, to be in close relationship with Him and so, in regards to purpose, I was made for God’s glory, that is, as the masterful painting brings the masterful painter praise, so too is my purpose to bring God the same sort of accolades.  But I was also created for God’s enjoyment, as the father enjoys his son, or his daughter, delighting in them in a way that cannot be explained beyond love.  My purpose is to be, by my nature, obedient to God with my actions and affectionate to Him with my creativity and desire, as the son who thinks that his father is the greatest thing ever in the whole wide world.  A childish way to phrase it, but sometimes the simple way is the best way to name a thing.  My purpose is to please and delight in God.
Understanding this as my purpose, then I find meaningful the things in life that God finds meaningful.  This is not a mechanical response, but rather, a response similar to that of a son who thinks the world of his father and wants to walk like him, talk like him, dress like him, essentially, to be him.  Anyone, regardless of belief, will approach meaning in this way, which is imitation, the forming of one’s nature to be like the nature of that which is seen as meaningful according to one’s understanding of his or her purpose in life.  At the very least, the fool will imitate what he or she perceives to be good and/or sensible.  Whether the reader is a Christian should not matter in regards to understanding the logic of this response.  What is valued, what is seen as meaningful, what is treasured, there will any man or woman’s heart be also.[1]  This is not only found in the Bible, but also in the familiar quote, “home is where the heart is.”[2]
My heart is steeped, like a good cup of tea, in the things that have meaning to God.  Keeping in mind then, my previously stated purpose, it makes perfect sense that I, over the next thirty years, would pursue those meaningful things.  From the pursuit of what is meaningful, as understood in accordance with my purpose in life, come the principles by which I live.  Now a human father can easily tell his son what has meaning and what does not, what is right and what is wrong, what is good and what is not, what will last and what will not.  Another name for the Bible is the “Word of God.”  This is not some silly, artistic phrase for the sake of religious aesthetic.  It is infinitely practical.  God, through the Bible, reveals to those who see his “Word” as meaningful, what is right, what is good, what is true, the principles by which I want to live, peace, love, joy, patience, perseverance, faithfulness, trustworthiness, etc.
I want to look back and see a life lived for a purpose, with meaning and by principle.  I hope that I was a good father, a good husband, a good brother, a good son, a good friend, all of these things.  I believe now that I will be a pastor of a church someday soon, but that is not an accomplishment that I feel I must have.  Rather, it is a choice pursued because of how I understand myself, my sense of purpose, of meaning and of principle.  It does not matter what job I do, as long as I remain true to my sense of these things.  Whether a janitor or a professor, a burger-flipper or a pastor, all jobs are equally important in that it how I do what I do that matters more than what I do.  And after thirty years I hope that I will be the man of principle and that my children and grandchildren will know that God loved the world so much that He sent His one and only son to die for our sins and brokenness.  And that whoever believes in Jesus will not die, but have eternal life.  And that they will be men and women of purpose, meaning and principle.  I need nothing else, want no other thing, desire no greater accomplishment than to do these things and in doing so, show others just how great and wonderful God is.


[1] Bible, Matthew 6:21/Luke 12:34
[2] Gaius Plinius Secundus, more commonly known as Pliny the Elder

Comments

Popular Posts